The world has been pretty wacky lately. As much as Iâ€™d like to be able to give you a magic remedy to lift you up out of the mire, the truth is there is no such thing. But there are a couple tools that will help you claim your inner-peace.
One is to connect with the essence of your soulâ€™s presence in your body. This can be done on a bike ride or on a yoga mat. There are no rules aside from breathing and being aware of the present moment. In order to let go of thoughts of the past or the future, let your awareness follow your breath. The more you do this the easier it is to return to your center and recognize the energy that isnâ€™t yours but is affecting you. My next point!
Not everything you feel is your own. Knowing this helps you ride the waves rather than be pummeled in the surf, to stay sane in the midst of a wacky world. The second tool is to identify and clear other peopleâ€™s energy out of your space. Letâ€™s do that!
What you feel that is NOT generated from within has three primary sources:
- Absorbing someone elseâ€™s emotions such as sadness, anger or fear
- A direct energy whack, such asÂ being blamed, shamed or punished
- Group energy, collective beliefs or feelings
Absorbing emotions can happen through supporting someone you love or unconsciously healing someone you are physically around who is suffering.
An energetic whack, has two parts: your feelings generated from it and the energy sent at you by the person. Psychology says understand and heal your feelings but misses the second part.
For example, a client of mine is a teacher and one of her students needed to be sent out of class due to behavior that was preventing others from learning. The studentâ€™s parent went into a rage on the teacher rather than acknowledge that her child was out of line. She blamed her for shaming her son.
My client was completely thrown off. She questioned herself and how she handled the situation. She had followed normal protocol. The student had been given multiple opportunities to change his behavior. While her colleagues validated that she did no wrong, she couldnâ€™t find peace. The energy whack from the parent was in her space.Â Until the energy that wasnâ€™t hers was moved out, she felt â€śoff.â€ť
Group energy impactsÂ can include world events, the community where you live, where you work, worship or socialize in-person or online. The news, politics, natural disasters, beliefs about wealth and poverty. These are compounded by the number of peopleÂ feeling andÂ radiating out discontent and fear. Collective energy gets into everyoneâ€™s space. Clear it out regularly!
Start with the breathing tool, then move into this simple visualization:
- Imagine a bubble suspended in the air in front of your body
- Intend that any energy that isnâ€™t yours move out of your body into this bubble
- It may or may not be attached to a specific person or experience. For example, move out all financial fear that is not yours. Ranging from the global economy to the specific fears of your spouse or parents.
- Name the feeling behind the energy you are moving out: disappointment, pessimism, depression, anger, jealousy, shame, exhaustionâ€¦
- When the bubble is full of all of the energy that is NOT you, watch it float to a faraway place in your mindâ€™s eye and pop.
- Then call your energy back to yourself from the sources you identified.Â See yourself being filled up with the energy of your own essence, like liquid gold flowing into the top of your head.
Hopefully it helps a little bit to know the influence of wackyÂ global, cultural orÂ social energy around you has a real impact.Â Itâ€™s not just you and youâ€™re not alone. Use this awareness and these tools to claim your inner-peace.